Hands on time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 24-oz jar low-fat, low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 lb extra-lean ground chicken or turkey
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup skimm mozarella cheese, shredded, divided
- 2 1/2 cups zuchinni (about 2 medium), sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit
- In a large nonstick frying pan, saute onion and garlic over medium heat until tender. Add tomato sauce and ground meat, and bring all ingredients to consistent heat for 10 minutes (until browned). Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, slightly beat the egg. Stir in cottage cheese, flour and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Pour 1/2 of meat-tomato sauce mixture into a 1 and 1/2-quart roasting pan. Top with 1 and 1/4 cups zucchini slices and cottage cheese mixture. Then cover with remaining meat-tomato sauce mixture and zucchini.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrients per 1 and 2/3-cup serving: Calories: 240, Total Fat: 3.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 19g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 10g, Protein: 32g, Sodium: 530mg, Cholesterol: 45mg